Originally published at https://www.themuse.com/advice/9-reasons-your-resume-keeps-ending-up-on-the-bottom-of-the-pile.
9 Reasons Your Resume Keeps Ending Up on the Bottom of the Pile
Below are nine common resume mistakes job seekers make that keep them from making it to the next round. Are you avoiding all of these?
- Keep irrelevant work experience off unless there’s no other way to show crucial soft skills that are necessary for this job. (The Undercover Recruiter)
- In other words, make sure your resume is tailored to the job you want. (The Daily Muse)
- Get rid of generic filler phrases like “result-oriented” and “self-motivated” and give examples of those traits instead. (Experience)
- Additionally, focus on being able to describe hard skills and use keywords. Hiring managers and recruiters are looking for specific abilities; make it easy for them! (LiveCareer)
- It’s time to drop unnecessary additions that just take up space, like an objective statement, your hobbies, and your references. (Business Insider)
- Does your resume come across as too “me, me, me?” Fix that. (Inc.)
- Is your format professional enough? Try one of these 283 options that you can create in Microsoft Word (so no fancy design skills needed!). (Hloom)
- It seems silly, but make sure your email address is professional. It’s shocking how many people still don’t. (Consultant Journal)
- Finally, read my lips: Proofread. (Grammarly)
* * *
Do your resume need work? Do you need some assistance in improving your resume and interview persona? If so, contact a Career Counselor with Lexacount Search’s Career Consulting Services. If you are interested in learning more about finance and accounting industry opportunities, contact a Search Consultant from Lexacount Search’s Finance Group. Or, if you are interested in attorney or other roles in the legal industry, contact a Search Consultant from Lexacount Search’s Legal Group.